Saturday, December 24, 2011

What a difference a day makes (well actually a year...)

I can't believe that a year has gone by since I heard those three little words, "you have cancer". It happened just prior to the holidays last year and here we are again in the thick of things. I can't say I feel like my old self again, actually I feel in many ways better. Gone is the doubt and fear that I carried around with me before. Looking back, I think that I was in the beginning of a mid-life crisis prior to my diagnosis. Nothing like a little cancer scare to get you out of that!

The fear is gone from my partner Ken's eyes as we both look to the future. He even joked a couple of nights ago that the world was supposed to end in one year on December 21st (if you believe in the Mayan Calender myth). He quickly stated that that wasn't going to happen though. He was pretty sure God saved me for a reason and a year didn't seem long enough for that reason to reveal itself. I like his way of looking at things! I wonder about how the people that have bought into this myth will react when they wake up to the world on December 22nd 2012. Will we be brave enough to face the future and make this a better planet? Will it feel, at least for some, like a second chance? I hope so!

I am already living my second chance today. Cleaning, decorating and cooking for the Christmas meal that will be shared with family and friends. Looking forward to the new year. Planning on going back to work and discovering my purpose. When you have faced with feels like death, life become so much more intense and pleasurable. My dog tripped me in the kitchen this morning and I ruined a cheesecake. The funny part was as I was leaning up against the cabinets covered in cake my dog was gleefully cleaning the floor! I couldn't help but laugh. So I have to make another cheesecake, I'll never have another moment like that one.

If there is one thing I have learned this year it is to appreciate the moment. There is very little bad, when we really think about it and if you just change your perspective, you will see that there is an amazing amount of good!

Merry Christmas to all and warm wishes for a wonderful New Years!

No comments:

Post a Comment